Make Habits that Stick!
Watch the video below to see why habits are pretty amazing:
"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant
The most important posts about habits:-
- My habit system - I used all the information I'd gleaned from reading all the best books and resources on habit formation to create a "system" that I run through when trying to build habits.
- Why trying harder doesn't work - the fundamentals of willpower, why it's so valuable and why it's a poor strategy for habit building
- How to design your life to preserve willpower - by being mindful and understanding how our willpower becomes unnecessarily depleted on a daily basis can help us maintain self control and see things through to the end
All My Posts about Habit Formation:-
Developing the Habit of Seeing Things Through – How To Become a Finisher
Signs of Willpower Fatigue: How To Tell When You’re Burnt Out
The Surprising Little Known Facts about The Real Cost of Decisions
[tcb-script src="https://fast.wistia.com/embed/medias/0zyci09xrf.jsonp" async=""][/tcb-script][tcb-script src="https://fast.wistia.com/assets/external/E-v1.js" async=""][/tcb-script] In a suburban mall, shoppers were randomly stopped
How to Preserve Our Most Valuable Habit Building Asset – Willpower
How To Know if A Behavior is Habitual? Measuring Habits
How Long Does it Really Take to Form a New Habit?
How to Be Prolific: A Look into the Mindsets of Prolific Creators
Why Trying Harder is a Terrible Strategy – The Strength Model for Ego Depletion
[tcb-script src="https://fast.wistia.com/embed/medias/crnidwvjzg.jsonp" async=""][/tcb-script][tcb-script src="https://fast.wistia.com/assets/external/E-v1.js" async=""][/tcb-script] This time you're not going to quit...It's new
Showing Up Consistently and Using Brute Force
How to Build Habits for Good – The Warrior Habits System
My Favorite Habit Building Resources
I keep the following list of books and online resources updated whenever I come across awesomeness:-
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg - one of my favorite books about habits. Must read.
- Behavioral change by BJ Fogg - Stanford professor with lots of amazing resources on behavior change and habit formation
- James Clear - one of my favorite writers on the subject of self development and habit formation. I recommend signing up and studying his free habit guide.
- Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength by Roy F. Baumeister and John Tierney - one of the leading resources on willpower, what it is and how to preserve it.
- Mini Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results by Stephen Guise - a nice procrastinating busting method of building habits by starting with really small commitments.
- The Now Habit by Neil Fiore - a great book about the psychology of procrastination and some practical tips you can use to resolve that with certain overlaps into habit formation.
- Cool presentation by Roy Baumeister - nice overview of willpower, signs of willpower depletion, and how to strengthen it.
- Finisher's Formula by Ramit Sethi - while this paid course is mainly about how to train yourself to see things through to the end, a lot of the material is about habit formation and includes a really awesome interview with Charles Duhigg, the author of "The Power of Habit".
Here is also a list of the best scientific studies on habit formation and willpower preservation.